[openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Nov 8 17:12:43 UTC 2017

Hi!

This is amazing to see this discussed! Looking forward to more details.

On 11/08/2017 12:28 AM, Erik McCormick wrote:
> Hello Ops folks,
>
> This morning at the Sydney Summit we had a very well attended and very
> productive session about how to go about keeping a selection of past
> releases available and maintained for a longer period of time (LTS).
>
> There was agreement in the room that this could be accomplished by
> moving the responsibility for those releases from the Stable Branch
> team down to those who are already creating and testing patches for
> old releases: The distros, deployers, and operators.
>
> The concept, in general, is to create a new set of cores from these
> groups, and use 3rd party CI to validate patches. There are lots of
> details to be worked out yet, but our amazing UC (User Committee) will
> be begin working out the details.

What is the most worrying is the exact "take over" process. Does it mean that
the teams will give away the +2 power to a different team? Or will our (small)
stable teams still be responsible for landing changes? If so, will they have to
learn how to debug 3rd party CI jobs?

Generally, I'm scared of both overloading the teams and losing the control over
quality at the same time :) Probably the final proposal will clarify it..