[openstack-dev] [TripleO] containerized undercloud in Queens

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Mon Nov 6 20:57:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobreli at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/17 1:01 AM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 5:02 AM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>   -CI resources: better use of CI resources. At the PTG we received
>>> feedback from the OpenStack infrastructure team that our upstream CI
>>> resource usage is quite high at times (even as high as 50% of the
>>> total). Because of the shared framework and single node capabilities we
>>> can re-architecture much of our upstream CI matrix around single node.
>>> We no longer require multinode jobs to be able to test many of the
>>> services in tripleo-heat-templates... we can just use a single cloud VM
>>> instead. We'll still want multinode undercloud -> overcloud jobs for
>>> testing things like HA and baremetal provisioning. But we can cover a
>>> large set of the services (in particular many of the new scenario jobs
>>> we added in Pike) with single node CI test runs in much less time.
>>>

>> After the last (terrible) weeks in CI, it's pretty clear we need to
>> find a solution to reduce and optimize our testing.
>> I'm now really convinced by switching our current scenarios jobs to
>> NOT deploy the overcloud, and just an undercloud with composable
>> services & run tempest.
>>

> +1
> And we should start using the quickstart-extras undercloud-reploy role for
> that.
>

>> Benefits:
>> - deploy 1 node instead of 2 nodes, so we save nodepool resources
>> - faster (no overcloud)
>> - reduce gate queue time, faster development process, faster CI
>>
>> Challenges:
>> - keep overcloud testing, with OVB
>> - reduce OVB to strict minimum: Ironic, Nova, Mistral and basic
>> containerized services on overcloud.
>>
>> I really want to get consensus on these points, please raise your
>> voice now before we engage some work on that front.
>>
>> [...]
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Bogdan Dobrelya,
> Irc #bogdando

OK,
Just got off the containers call.  We discussed the CI requirements for the
containerized undercloud.

In the upstream, launched via quickstart not tripleo.sh we want to see

1) undercloud-containers - a containerized install, should be voting by m1
2) undercloud-containers-update - minor updates run on containerized
underclouds, should be voting by m2
3) undercloud-containers-upgrade - major upgrade from
non-containerized to containerized undercloud, should be voting by m2.

The above three items will enable us to test the quality of just the
undercloud install.

Ian and I are also working together on testing full deployments with the
containerized
undercloud to test how stable full runs are generally.  This will
help us assess the readiness of switching over in full in queens.

This will also then lead into discussions and planning around where we can
remove
multinode testing in upstream and start to fully utilize the benefits of
the containerized undercloud.

Please contact myself or Sagi regarding changes in the CI for the
undercloud.
Thanks