[openstack-dev] [oslo][tripleo][puppet] Logging format: let's discuss a bit about default format, format configuration and so on

Cédric Jeanneret cedric.jeanneret at camptocamp.com
Mon Nov 6 06:04:12 UTC 2017

On 11/04/2017 07:08 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Juan Antonio Osorio's message of 2017-11-04 00:11:47 +0200:
>>> On 3 Nov 2017 19:59, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Excerpts from Cédric Jeanneret's message of 2017-11-01 14:54:34 +0100:

>>> Using the JSON formatter currently requires setting a logging
>>> configuration file using the standard library configuration format
>>> and fully specifying things like log levels, handlers, and output
>>> destination. Would it make sense to add an option in oslo.log to
>>> give deployers an easier way to enable the JSON formatter?
>>>

>> This would actually be very useful.
>
> Great! Let me know if you would like to help figuring out where to do
> that in the library code.

There's already some (not really documented) feature allowing oslo.log
to load a configuration file. In fact, there's already one existing in
the keystone tree (/etc/keystone/logging.conf - altougn not loaded) - we
might base something "casual" and "generic" on that one.

I think all wsgi/python services should configure the logging through
that file so that it's clearer and cleaner. But that part is maybe a bit
too big and "aggressive" :). And the logging configuration isn't that
friendly, to be honest, at least I have some issues with its doc ;).

But I think we might come to something nice and cool. It would allow
anyone to push  their own log "formatter", in the end.
So you (oslo.log) wouldn't need to work with format output requests
anymore, just provide two basics (plain and json), and let users play
with the logging configuration (and even output things in XML if they
want) ;).

Regarding oslo.log: apparently, adding the following entry in the
service configuration file should do it:
log-config-append¹

Can anyone confirm that?

¹ https://github.com/openstack/oslo.log/blob/master/oslo_log/_options.py#L44