[openstack-dev] [TripleO] containerized undercloud in Queens

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Nov 6 00:01:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 5:02 AM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]

>  -CI resources: better use of CI resources. At the PTG we received
> feedback from the OpenStack infrastructure team that our upstream CI
> resource usage is quite high at times (even as high as 50% of the
> total). Because of the shared framework and single node capabilities we
> can re-architecture much of our upstream CI matrix around single node.
> We no longer require multinode jobs to be able to test many of the
> services in tripleo-heat-templates... we can just use a single cloud VM
> instead. We'll still want multinode undercloud -> overcloud jobs for
> testing things like HA and baremetal provisioning. But we can cover a
> large set of the services (in particular many of the new scenario jobs
> we added in Pike) with single node CI test runs in much less time.

After the last (terrible) weeks in CI, it's pretty clear we need to
find a solution to reduce and optimize our testing.
I'm now really convinced by switching our current scenarios jobs to
NOT deploy the overcloud, and just an undercloud with composable
services & run tempest.

Benefits:
- deploy 1 node instead of 2 nodes, so we save nodepool resources
- faster (no overcloud)
- reduce gate queue time, faster development process, faster CI

Challenges:
- keep overcloud testing, with OVB
- reduce OVB to strict minimum: Ironic, Nova, Mistral and basic
containerized services on overcloud.

I really want to get consensus on these points, please raise your
voice now before we engage some work on that front.

[...]
--
Emilien Macchi