[openstack-dev] Developer Mailing List Digest October 28th - November 3rd

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 03:02:43 UTC 2017

Contribute to the Dev Digest by summarizing OpenStack Dev List thread:

* https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/devdigest
* http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/

News
====
* Sydney Summit Etherpads [0]

[0] - https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum/Sydney2017

Community Summaries
===================
Nova Placements Resource Provider Update by Eric Fried [0]
Nova Notification Update by Balazs Gibizer [1]
Technical Committee Status update by Thierry Carrez [2]
Technical Committee Report by Chris Dent [3]
Release Countdown by Sean McGinnis [4]
POST /api-sig/news by Chris Dent [5]

[0] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-November/124233.html
[1] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/124079.html
[2] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/124049.html
[3] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/124134.html
[4] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123799.html
[5] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/124023.html

TC Election Results (continued)
===============================
Congrats to our 6 newly elected Technical Committee members:
Colleen Murphy (cmurphy)
Doug Hellmann (dhellmann)
Emilien Macchi (emilienm)
Jeremy Stanley (fungi)
Julia Kreger (TheJulia)
Paul Belanger (pabelanger)

Full results are available [0]. The process and results are also available [1].
420 voted out of 2430 electorate, giving us a 17.28% turn out with a delta of
29.16% [2].

Reasons for the low turnout is hard to tell without knowing who is voting and
what their activity is in the community. More people are beginning to
understand the point of the TC activities, being more around duties than rights
(e.g. stewardship and leadership). People could care a bit less about specific
individuals and are less motivated by the vote itself. If the activity of the
TC was a lot more conflict and a lot less consensus, people might care about it
more.

[0] - http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_ce86063991ef8aae
[1] - https://governance.openstack.org/election/
[2] - http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123848.html

Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/thread.html#124004

Security SIG
============
Our governance used to only have project teams to recognize activity in
OpenStack, so we created a security team. Introduction of sigs provide a new
construct for recognizing activity around a group that share interest around
a topic or practice that are not mainly around software bits.

Security is a great example of a topic that could benefit from this construct
to gather all security-conscious people in our community. SIGs can have
software by-products and own git repositories, and the software is more about
security in general than a piece of OpenStack itself.

It's important to consider the Vulnerability Management Team (VMT) under the
new model, which acts as an independent task force.

The Security team discussed the idea of a SIG in their meeting, and overall
think it's worth exploring by having the SIG and team exist in parallel to see
if there is traction.

Full thread: http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/thread.html#124053

--
Mike Perez (thingee)