[openstack-dev] [ironic] testing ansible-deploy in gates

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Nov 1 17:20:05 UTC 2017

On 10/31/2017 07:09 PM, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as we have agreed on the PTG, we are about to pull the ansible-deploy interface
> from ironic-staging-drivers to ironic. We obviously need to test it on gates
> too, in a non-voting mode like snmp and redfish ones.
>
> This raises couple of questions/concerns:
>
> 1. Testing hardware types on gates.
> This is the first? interface that does not have any "classic" driver associated
> with it. All our devstack setup logic is currently based on classic drivers
> instead of hardware types, in particular all the "is_deployed_by" functions and
> logic depending on them.
> As we are about to deprecate the classic drivers altogether and eventually
> remove them, we ought to start moving our setup and testing procedures to
> hardware types as well.
> (another interesting point would be how much effort we need to adapt all our
> unit tests to use hw types instead of 'fake' and other classic drivers...)

++ to moving to hardware types. As to 'fake', there is 'fake-hardware', which
does roughly the same.

> 2. Deploy ramdisk image to use.
> Current job in staging drivers does small rebuild of tinyipa image during
> deploy. I'd like to avoid it as much as possible, so I propose to add all the
> logic which is there to default build options and scripts of tinyipa build. This
> includes installing SSH server and enabling SSH access to the ramdisk, and some
> small mangling with files and file links.

++

> A separate question would be SSH keys. We could either not bake them to the
> image and generate them each time anew, but that would still require an image
> rebuild on (each?) devstack run. Or we could generate them once, bake the public
> key to the image and publish the private key to tarballs.o.o, so it could be
> re-used by IPA scripts and jobs to build fresh images on merge and during tests.
> There are surely certain security consideration to such approach, but as tinyipa
> is targeted for testing (virtual) environments and not production, I suppose we
> could probably neglect them.

Mmmm, I'm pretty sure somebody will try to use our published images in
production, even if we recommend against it. How long does the image repacking
take? It should not be hard to inject one file in an image..

> WDYT?
>
> Another aspect of this is (as we agreed) we would need to move all the
> 'imagebuild' folder content from IPA repo to a separate repo, and devise a way
> to use this repo in our devstack plugin.

I've started that, but I don't have time to continue. Any help is appreciated :)