[openstack-dev] [ironic][tempest][qa] dropping the ironic-inspector-tempest-plugin repo

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Nov 1 00:20:30 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 08:22:10PM +0200, Pavlo Shchelokovskyy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there exists this repo
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/ironic-inspector-tempest-plugin.
> It is basically empty and there's a single pending review adding initial
> cookiecutter-generated project stuff.
> I am not sure who/how asked for creation of this project (may be automated
> for the x-project goal?),
> but eventually Ironic community decided to keep tempest tests for both
> ironic and ironic-inspector in a single repo 'ironic-tempest-plugin' (work
> of moving ironic tests there is in progress, inspector will follow).
>
> Thus a question to QA/tempest team - would that play nice with tempest and
> scripts/logic around running it on gates if two separate projects with
> different names would have a common tempest plugin project?
> If yes, then we should request to delete this
> 'ironic-inspector-tempest-plugin' project as it is and will be empty and
> useless, just confusing users.
> If not, ironic community probably might have to re-assess its decision...

I don't see anything wrong with this. The x-project goal is mostly about
packaging for the plugins and ensuring we're actually doing branchless testing
for all projects. It was always up to the project teams with plugins to
maintain and organize the plugins however they saw fit. So if having 1 plugin
for ironic and ironic-inspector makes the most sense that's what we should do.
If a blank repo was created by someone for a separate ironic-inspector tempest
plugin I think deleting that repo is fine.

As for the mechanics of setting up the gate jobs, there aren't any complications
with doing this. You just make sure you install the combined plugin on the test
jobs for both projects and it should work fine. (this is actually part of the
reason for the x-project goal, because doing this kind of thing with bundled
in-tree plugins is much more difficult)

-Matt Treinish