[openstack-dev] [nova] Why don't we unbind ports or terminate volume connections on shelve offload?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed May 31 14:01:55 UTC 2017

On 4/13/2017 11:45 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> This came up in the nova/cinder meeting today, but I can't for the life
> of me think of why we don't unbind ports or terminate the connection
> volumes when we shelve offload an instance from a compute host.
>
> When you unshelve, if the instance was shelved offloaded, the conductor
> asks the scheduler for a new set of hosts to build the instance on
> (unshelve it). That could be a totally different host.
>
> So am I just missing something super obvious? Or is this the most latent
> bug ever?

Looks like this is a known bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1547142

The fix on the nova side apparently depends on some changes on the
cinder side. The new v3.27 APIs in cinder might help with all of this,
but it doesn't fix old attachments.

By the way, search for shelve + volume in nova bugs and you're rewarded
with a treasure trove of bugs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/?field.searchtext=shelved+volume&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=

Matt