[openstack-dev] [requirements] Do we care about pypy for clients (broken by cryptography)

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Wed May 31 11:37:02 UTC 2017

We had a discussion a few months back around what to do for cryptography
since pycrypto is basically dead [1]. After some discussion, at least on
the Cinder project, we decided the best way forward was to use the
cryptography package instead, and work has been done to completely remove
pycrypto usage.

It all seemed like a good plan at the time.

I now notice that for the python-cinderclient jobs, there is a pypy job
(non-voting!) that is failing because the cryptography package is not
supported with pypy.

So this leaves us with two options I guess. Change the cryto library again,
or drop support for pypy.

I am not aware of anyone using pypy, and there are other valid working
alternatives. I would much rather just drop support for it than redo our
crypto functions again.

Thoughts? I'm sure the Grand Champion of the Clients (Monty) probably has
some input?

Sean