[openstack-dev] [requirements][mistral][tripleo][horizon][nova][releases] release models for projects tracked in global-requirements.txt

Renat Akhmerov renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
Wed May 31 08:35:33 UTC 2017

On 31 May 2017, 15:08 +0700, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>, wrote:

> > This has hit us with the mistral and tripleo projects particularly
> > (tagged in the title). They disallow pbr-3.0.0 and in the case of
> > mistral sqlalchemy updates.
> >
> > [mistral]
> > mistral - blocking sqlalchemy - milestones
>
> I wonder why mistral is in requirements. Looks like tripleo-common is
> depending on it ? Could someone shine some light on this ? It might just
> mean mistral-lib is missing a few functions, and switching the release
> model of mistral itself might be overkill ?

This dependency is currently needed to create custom Mistral actions. It was originally not the best architecture and one of the reasons to create 'mistral-lib' was in getting rid of dependency on ‘mistral’ by moving all that’s needed for creating actions into a lib (plus something else). The thing is that the transition is not over and APIs that we put into ‘mistral-lib’ are still experimental. The plan is to complete this initiative, including docs and needed refactoring, till the end of Pike.

What possible negative consequences may we have if we switch release model to "cycle-with-intermediary”? Practically, all our releases, even those made after milestones, are considered stable and I don’t see issues if we’ll be producing full releases every time. Btw, how does stable branch maintenance work in this case? I guess it should be the same, one stable branch per cycle. I’d appreciate if you could clarify this.

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia