[openstack-dev] [fuxi][kuryr] Where to commit codes for Fuxi-golang

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Tue May 30 14:49:25 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 5:47 AM, Spyros Trigazis <strigazi at gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, there is already a cinder volume driver for docker available, written
> in golang, from rexray [1].
>
> Our team recently contributed to libstorage [3], it could support manila
> too. Rexray
> also supports the popular cloud providers.
>
> Magnum's docker swarm cluster driver, already leverages rexray for cinder
> integration. [2]
>
> Cheers,
> Spyros
>
> [1] https://github.com/codedellemc/rexray/releases/tag/v0.9.0
> [2] https://github.com/codedellemc/libstorage/releases/tag/v0.6.0
> [3] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/magnum/tree/
> magnum/drivers/common/templates/swarm/fragments/
> volume-service.sh?h=stable/ocata
>
> On 27 May 2017 at 12:15, zengchen <chenzeng765 at 163.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi John & Ben:
>>  I have committed a patch[1] to add a new repository to Openstack. Please
>> take a look at it. Thanks very much!
>>
>>  [1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/468635
>>
>> Best Wishes!
>> zengchen
>>

>> 在 2017-05-26 21:30:48,"John Griffith" <john.griffith8 at gmail.com> 写道:
>>

>> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:01 PM, zengchen <chenzeng765 at 163.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi john:
>>>     I have seen your updates on the bp. I agree with your plan on how to
>>> develop the codes.
>>>     However, there is one issue I have to remind you that at present,
>>> Fuxi not only can convert
>>>  Cinder volume to Docker, but also Manila file. So, do you consider to
>>> involve Manila part of codes
>>>  in the new Fuxi-golang?
>>>
>> Agreed, that's a really good and important point.  Yes, I believe Ben
>> Swartzlander
>>
>> is interested, we can check with him and make sure but I certainly hope
>> that Manila would be interested.
>>
>>> Besides, IMO, It is better to create a repository for Fuxi-golang,
>>> because
>>>  Fuxi is the project of Openstack,
>>>
>> Yeah, that seems fine; I just didn't know if there needed to be any more
>> conversation with other folks on any of this before charing ahead on new
>> repos etc.  Doesn't matter much to me though.
>>

>>>    Thanks very much!
>>>
>>> Best Wishes!
>>> zengchen
>>>

>>> At 2017-05-25 22:47:29, "John Griffith" <john.griffith8 at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:

>>> For now I was thinking just use Github and PR's outside of the OpenStack
>>> projects to bootstrap things and see how far we can get.  I'll update the
>>> BP this morning with what I believe to be the key tasks to work through.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John

> ​Hi Spryos,

Thanks for pointing that out, actually I wasn't aware that Magnum had
adopted RexRay so that's good to know.  There are actually a number of
options out there RexRay, Cinder-Docker-Driver etc.  They're all cool, and
if they work for people that's great!

The only problem I've had with any of these other options is that most are
under ownership of a single storage vendor.  Even though the licensing is
agreeable, and in theory it shouldn't be a problem to contribute, the fact
is that most organizations aren't going to be too keen on allowing their
employees to contribute to a competitors project.  Part of the goal of
having something like this in OpenStack is to try and drive more adoption
among the storage folks that already contribute and participate in the
community.  There are over 80 backends in Cinder today, and a significant
percentage of those are all working on (or have already released) a Docker
Plugin of their own.  It's my opinion that the fragmentation isn't really
good for anybody except for perhaps some marketing exercises.​

Bottom line is I'd love to see this as a way to build a community, and
possibly alleviate fragmentation.  Also, keep in mind that the Docker
Plugin piece is only the first component.  There's some great opportunity
in the K8's space and the CSI as storage begins to evolve in those areas.

All of that being said, if Magnum has a solution that works then that's
awesome!

Thanks,
John