[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder][barbican] Why is Cinder creating symmetric keys in Barbican for use with encrypted volumes?

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Fri May 26 16:25:15 UTC 2017

On 25 May 2017 12:33 pm, "Lee Yarwood" <lyarwood at redhat.com> wrote:

On 25-05-17 11:38:44, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> On 25 May 2017 at 11:00, Lee Yarwood <lyarwood at redhat.com> wrote:
> > This has also reminded me that the plain (dm-crypt) format really needs
> > to be deprecated this cycle. I posted to the dev and ops ML [2] last
> > year about this but received no feedback. Assuming there are no last
> > minute objections I'm going to move forward with deprecating this format
> > in os-brick this cycle.
>
> What is the reasoning for this? There are plenty of people using it, and
> you're going to break them going forward if you remove it.

I didn't receive any feedback indicating that we had any users of plain
when I initially posted to the ML. That said there obviously can be
users out there and my intention isn't to pull support for this format
immediately without any migration path to LUKS etc.

Ok, after a few emails, of the users I knew about, one is happy with luks
and the others are no longer running openstack. Apologies for the mis-steer