[openstack-dev] [upgrades][skip-level][leapfrog] - RFC - Skipping releases when upgrading

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Fri May 26 16:06:20 UTC 2017

On 05/26/2017 10:56 AM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> As most of the upgrade issues center around database migrations, we
>> discussed some of the potential pitfalls at length. One approach was to
>> roll-up all DB migrations into a single repository and run all upgrades
>> for a given project in one step. Another was to simply have mutliple
>> python virtual environments and just run in-line migrations from a
>> version specific venv (this is what the OSA tooling does). Does one way
>> work better than the other? Any thoughts on how this could be better?
>
> IMHO, and speaking from a Nova perspective, I think that maintaining a
> separate repo of migrations is a bad idea. We occasionally have to fix a
> migration to handle a case where someone is stuck and can't move past a
> certain revision due to some situation that was not originally
> understood. If you have a separate copy of our migrations, you wouldn't
> get those fixes. Nova hasn't compacted migrations in a while anyway, so
> there's not a whole lot of value there I think.

+1 I think it's very important that migration logic not be duplicated.
Nova's (and everyone else's) migration files have the information on how
to move between specific schema versions.    Any concatenation of these
into an effective "N+X" migration should be on the fly as much as is
possible.

> The other thing to consider is that our _schema_ migrations often
> require _data_ migrations to complete before moving on. That means you
> really have to move to some milestone version of the schema, then
> move/transform data, and then move to the next milestone. Since we
> manage those according to releases, those are the milestones that are
> most likely to be successful if you're stepping through things.
>
> I do think that the idea of being able to generate a small utility
> container (using the broad sense of the word) from each release, and
> using those to step through N, N+1, N+2 to arrive at N+3 makes the most
> sense.

+1

> Nova has offline tooling to push our data migrations (even though the
> command is intended to be runnable online). The concern I would have
> would be over how to push Keystone's migrations mechanically, since I
> believe they moved forward with their proposal to do data migrations in
> stored procedures with triggers. Presumably there is a need for
> something similar to nova's online-data-migrations command which will
> trip all the triggers and provide a green light for moving on?

I haven't looked at what Keystone is doing, but to the degree they are
using triggers, those triggers would only impact new data operations as
they continue to run into the schema that is straddling between two
versions (e.g. old column/table still exists, data should be synced to
new column/table).   If they are actually running a stored procedure to
migrate existing data (which would be surprising to me...) then I'd
assume that invokes just like any other "ALTER TABLE" instruction in
their migrations.  If those operations themselves rely on the triggers,
that's fine.

But a keystone person to chime in would be much better than me just
making stuff up.