[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Undercloud backup and restore

Carlos Camacho Gonzalez ccamacho at redhat.com
Fri May 26 07:15:04 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Jiří Stránský <jistr at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 24.5.2017 15:02, Marios Andreou wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Carlos Camacho Gonzalez <
>> ccamacho at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hey folks,
>>>
>>> Based on what we discussed yesterday in the TripleO weekly team meeting,
>>> I'll like to propose a blueprint to create 2 features, basically to
>>> backup
>>> and restore the Undercloud.
>>>
>>> I'll like to follow in the first iteration the available docs for this
>>> purpose [1][2].
>>>
>>> With the addition of backing up the config files on /etc/ specifically to
>>> be able to recover from a failed Undercloud upgrade, i.e. recover the
>>> repos
>>> info removed in [3].
>>>
>>> I'll like to target this for P as I think I have enough time for
>>> coding/testing these features.
>>>
>>> I already have created a blueprint to track this effort
>>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/undercloud-backup-restore
>>>
>>> What do you think about it?
>>>

>> +1 from me as you know but adding my support on the list too. I think it
>> is
>> a great idea - there are cases especially around changing network config
>> during an upgrade for example where the best remedy is to restore the
>> undercloud for the network definitions (both neutron config and heat db).
>>

> +1 i think there's not really an easy way out of these issues other than a
> restore. We already recommend doing a backup before upgrading [1], so
> having something that can further help operators in this regard would be
> good.

Hey Jiri, Marios!!!

Sorry for the delayed reply here.

Yeahp, that's what I'll like to achieve, more than recover the UC, this is
about to restore it to a point we know it was working correctly.

Now, I'm following Ben's advise for this new iteration, taking a part the
big method which is currently meking the backup into small ones for
finishing the unit thests.

Cheers,
Carlos.

Jirka