[openstack-dev] Is the pendulum swinging on PaaS layers?

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri May 26 06:53:44 UTC 2017

On 05/19/2017 04:06 PM, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm confused by this. Creating a server takes a volume ID if you're booting
>> from volume, and that's actually preferred (by nova devs) since then Nova
>> doesn't have to orchestrate the creation of the volume in the compute
>> service and then poll until it's available.
>>
>> Same for ports - nova can create the port (default action) or get a port at
>> server creation time, which is required if you're doing trunk ports or
>> sr-iov / fancy pants ports.
>>
>> Am I misunderstanding what you're saying is missing?
>
> It turns out those are bad examples, they do accept IDs.

I was actually suggesting that maybe these commands in nova should *only* take
IDs, and that nova itself should not set up either block storage or networking
for you.

It seems non-intuitive to me that nova will do some basic stuff for you, but if
you want something more complicated then you need to go do it a totally
different way.

It seems to me that it'd be more logical if we always set up volumes/ports
first, then passed the resulting UUIDs to nova.  This could maybe be hidden from
the end-user by doing it in the client or some intermediate layer, but arguably
nova proper shouldn't be in the proxying business.

Lastly, the existence of a partial proxy means that people ask for a more
complete proxy--for example, specifying the vnic_type (for a port) or volume
type (for a volume) when booting an instance.

Chris