[openstack-dev] [oslo][all][logging] logging debugging improvement work status

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu May 25 14:15:14 UTC 2017

One outcome from the forum session about improving logging debugging
was agreement that the proposal to add more details about exceptions
to the logs. The spec [1] was updated and has been approved, and
the patches to implement the work in oslo.log have also been approved
[2].

The changes should be included in the Oslo releases next week. I
think it makes sense to hold off until then, given the holiday
weekend for many of the Oslo team members. As soon as the constraints
are updated to allow the new version of oslo.log, the log output
produced by devstack will change so that any log message emitted
in the context of handling an exception will include that exception
detail at the end of the log message (see the spec for details about
configuring that behavior).

After we start seeing this run in the gate for a bit, we can evaluate
if we need to tweak the format or skip any other of Python's built-in
exception types.

Thanks to Dims, Flavio, gcb, and Eric Fried for their help with
code reviews, and to the rest of the Oslo team and everyone who
participated in the discussion of the spec online and in Boston.

Doug

[1] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/pike/improving-logging-debugging.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:improve-logging-debugging