[openstack-dev] [ptg] Strawman Queens PTG week slicing

Alexandra Settle a.settle at outlook.com
Wed May 24 15:42:38 UTC 2017

On 5/24/17, 4:34 PM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

    Excerpts from Thierry Carrez's message of 2017-05-24 16:44:44 +0200:
    > Doug Hellmann wrote:
    > > Two questions about theme-based initiatives:
    > >
    > > I would like to have a discussion about the work to stop syncing
    > > requirements and to see if we can make progress on the implementation
    > > while we have the right people together. That seems like a topic
    > > for Monday or Tuesday. Would I reserve one of the "last-minute WG"
    > > rooms or extra rooms (it doesn't feel very last-minute if I know
    > > about it now)?
    >
    > We have some flexibility there, depending on how much time we need. If
    > it's an hour or two, I would go and book one of the "reservable rooms".
    > If it's a day or two, I would assign one of the rooms reserved for
    > upcoming workgroups/informal teams. "Last-minute" is confusing (just
    > changed it on the spreadsheet), those rooms are more to cater for needs
    > that are not represented in formal workgroups today.

    Ideally I'd like some time to actually hack on the tools. If that's not
    possible, an hour or two to work out a detailed plan would be enough.

    > > I don't see a time on here for the Docs team to work together on
    > > the major initiative they have going to change how publishing works.
    > > I didn't have the impression that we could anticipate that work
    > > being completed this cycle. Is the "helproom" going to be enough,
    > > or do we need a separate session for that, too?
    >
    > Again, we should be pretty flexible on that. We can reuse the doc
    > helproom, or we can say that the doc helproom is only on one day and the
    > other day is dedicated to making the doc publishing work. And if the doc
    > refactoring ends up being a release goal, it could use a release goal
    > room instead.

    Let's see what Alex thinks.

To be honest, I don’t want to assume we’re going to need all this space when potentially, we may not. Attendance for docs and I18N is low, but that was greatly increased last PTG due to the ability to have remote attendees. But that’s not what’s being discussed here…

I would appreciate the room the grow. I would like to find out, first and foremost, what is our action plan for docs. This is going to be a monstrous effort, and we’re quite possibly going to need space at events like the PTG to hack away and get things going.

So, I know that didn’t overly answer the question right now, but I hope it gives some perspective as to why I’m holding back a bit here. The strawman is appreciated, thanks Thierry. The small room for docs seems feasible. I just hope there will be the ability to spill over and open up the rest of the week to hack.

    > All in all, the idea is to show that on Mon-Tue we have a number of
    > rooms set apart to cover for any inter-project need we may have (already
    > identified or not). The room allocation is actually much tighter on
    > Wed-Thu :)

    OK.

    Doug