[openstack-dev] [ptg] Strawman Queens PTG week slicing

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Wed May 24 11:58:15 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 11:40 AM Dmitry Tantsur <dtantsur at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/24/2017 12:10 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > In a previous thread[1] I introduced the idea of moving the PTG from a
> > purely horizontal/vertical week split to a more
> > inter-project/intra-project activities split, and the initial comments
> > were positive.
> >
> > We need to solidify how the week will look like before we open up
> > registration (first week of June), so that people can plan their
> > attendance accordingly. Based on the currently-signed-up teams and
> > projected room availability, I built a strawman proposal of how that
> > could look:
> >

> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xmOdT6uZ5XqViActr5sBOaz_mEgjKSCY7NEWcAEcT-A/pubhtml?gid=397241312&single=true
> >
> > Let me know what you think. If you're scheduled on the Wed-Fri but would
> > rather be scheduled on Mon-Tue to avoid conflicting with another team,
> > let me know. If you're scheduled on Wed-Fri but plan to skip the Friday,
> > let me know as well, I'll update the spreadsheet accordingly.
>
> This looks good.
>
> I'm only surprised that Ironic is under question for the VM-BM room. We're
> the
> Bare Metal service after all :) Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding
> that
> room's purpose.
>

> > One of the things you might notice on Mon-Tue is the "helproom" concept.
> > In the spirit of separating inter-project and intra-project activities,
> > support teams (Infra, QA, Release Management, Stable branch maintenance,
> > but also teams that are looking at decentralizing their work like Docs
> > or Horizon) would have team members in helprooms available to provide
> > guidance to vertical teams on their specific needs.

This looks fine for me, one thing that I missed in Atlanta was the
possibility to join
any of the WG sessions. By moving QA sessions to the 2nd part of the week,
QA team members could take turn attending the QA help room and join WG
conversations where needed.

> Some of those teams
> > (like Infra/QA) could still have a "team meeting" on Wed-Fri to get
> > stuff done as a team, though.

The only concern I have here is that the topics to be discussed by the QA
and Infra
teams will be different and a shared room might not be ideal since we would
have two
ongoing discussions in the same room.
The three days would be a mix of QA sessions and hacking. Sharing a room
for the
hacking part is not an issue, but I would prefer to have a dedicated room
for at least 1.5 days.

andrea