[openstack-dev] [neutron][heat] - making Neutron more friendly for orchestration

Kevin Benton kevin at benton.pub
Wed May 24 05:49:50 UTC 2017

We chatted a bit about this on IRC. The issue here is that subnets that
belong to router:external networks are not visible unless the network is
shared as well.
So the only way the users can learn about which subnets to pick are in the
list of subnet UUIDs in the json body of the network 'subnets' field.[1]
They would basically be picking blindly because they don't know any details
about the subnets on the external network.

I think for us to allow a reasonable workflow where they pick an external
subnet instead, we would need to revisit the decision to hide external
subnets from users.

1.
https://github.com/openstack/neutron-lib/blob/ca299b8e47fdd5030dda596fd779beb3e5bea6cf/neutron_lib/api/definitions/network.py#L43