[openstack-dev] [tc] Active or passive role with our database layer

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon May 22 12:01:18 UTC 2017

On 05/21/2017 10:09 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:
<snip>

>> A similar issue lurks with the fact that MySQL unicode storage is
>> 3-byte by default and 4-byte is opt-in. We could take the 'external'
>> approach and document it and assume the operator has configured their
>> my.cnf with the appropriate default, or taken an 'active' approach
>> where we override it in all the models and make migrations to get us
>> from 3 to 4 byte.
>
> let's force MySQL to use utf8mb4!   Although I am curious what is the
> actual use case we want to hit here (which gets into, zzzeek is ignorant
> as to which unicode glyphs actually live in 4-byte utf8 characters).

There are sets of existing CJK ideographs in the 4-byte range, and the
reality is that all the world's languages are still not encoded in
unicode, so more Asian languages probably land in here in the future.

We've had specific bug reports in Nova on this, but it's actually a lot
to dig out of because that db migration seems expensive.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net