[openstack-dev] [oslo] Can we stop global requirements update?

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Sat May 20 16:04:47 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19 2017, Mike Bayer wrote:

> IMO that's a bug for them.

Of course it's a bug. IIRC Mehdi tried to fix it without much success.

> I'm inspired to see that Keystone, Nova etc. are
> able to move between and eventlet backend and a mod_wsgi backend.    IMO
> eventlet is really not needed for those services that present a REST interface.
> Although for a message queue with lots of long-running connections that receive
> events, that's a place where I *would* want to use a polling / non-blocking
> model.  But I'd use it explicitly, not with monkeypatching.

+1

> I'd ask why not oslo.cotyledon but it seems there's a faction here that is
> overall moving out of the Openstack umbrella in any case.

Not oslo because it can be used by other projects than just OpenStack.
And it's a condition of success. As Mehdi said, Oslo has been deserted
in the recent cycles, so putting a lib there as very little chance of
seeing its community and maintenance help grow. Whereas trying to reach
the whole Python ecosystem is more likely to get traction.

As a maintainer of SQLAlchemy I'm surprised you even suggest that. Or do
you plan on doing oslo.sqlalchemy? ;)

> Basically I think openstack should be getting off eventlet in a big way so I
> guess my sentiment here is that the Gnocchi / Cotyledon /etc. faction is just
> splitting off rather than serving as any kind of direction for the rest of
> Openstack to start looking.  But that's only an impression, maybe projects will
> use Cotyledon anyway.   If every project goes off and uses something completely
> different though, then I think we're losing.   The point of oslo was to prevent
> that.

I understand your concern and opinion. I think you, me and Mehdi don't
have the experience as contributors in OpenStack. I invite you to try
moving any major OpenStack project to something like oslo.service2 or
Cotyledon or to achieve any technical debt resolution in OpenStack to
have a view on hard it is to tackle. Then you'll see where we stand. :)

Especially when your job is not doing that, but e.g. working on
Telemetry. :)

--
Julien Danjou
-- Free Software hacker