[openstack-dev] Is the pendulum swinging on PaaS layers?

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri May 19 17:38:03 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Chris Friesen
<chris.friesen at windriver.com> wrote:
> ..., but it seems to me that the logical
> extension of that is to expose simple orthogonal APIs where the nova boot
> request should only take neutron port ids and cinder volume ids.  The actual
> setup of those ports/volumes would be done by neutron and cinder.
>
> It seems somewhat arbitrary to say "for historical reasons this subset of
> simple things can be done directly in a nova boot command, but for more
> complicated stuff you have to go use these other commands".  I think there's
> an argument to be made that it would be better to be consistent even for the
> simple things.

cdent mentioned enamel[0] above, and there is also oaktree[1], both of
which are wrapper/proxy services in front of existing OpenStack APIs.
I don't know enough about enamel yet, but one of the things I like
about oaktree is that it is not required to be deployed by the cloud
operator to be useful, I could set it up and proxy Rax and/or
CityCloud and/or mtreinish's closet cloud equally well.

The fact that these exist, and things like shade itself, are clues
that we are not meeting the needs of API consumers.  I don't think
anyone disagrees with that; let me know if you do and I'll update my
thoughts.

First and foremost, we need to have the primitive operations that get
composed into the higher-level ones available.  Just picking "POST
/server" as an example, we do not have that today.  Chris mentions
above the low-level version should take IDs for all of the associated
resources and no magic happening behind the scenes.  I think this
should be our top priority, everything else builds on top of that, via
either in-service APIs or proxies or library wrappers, whatever a) can
get implemented and b) makes sense for the use case.

dt

[BTW, I made this same type of proposal for the OpenStack SDK a few
years ago and it went unmerged, so at some level folks do not agree
this is necessary. I look now at what the Shade folk are doing about
building low-level REST layer that they then compose and wish I had
been more persistent then.]

[0] https://github.com/jaypipes/enamel
[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/oaktree
--