[openstack-dev] Is the pendulum swinging on PaaS layers?

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Fri May 19 17:03:23 UTC 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017, at 05:59 AM, Duncan Thomas wrote:
> On 19 May 2017 at 12:24, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>
> > I do get the concerns of extra logic in Nova, but the decision to break
> > up the working compute with network and storage problem space across 3
> > services and APIs doesn't mean we shouldn't still make it easy to
> > express some pretty basic and common intents.
>
> Given that we've similar needs for retries and race avoidance in and
> between glance, nova, cinder and neutron, and a need or orchestrate
> between at least these three (arguably other infrastructure projects
> too, I'm not trying to get into specifics), maybe the answer is to put
> that logic in a new service, that talks to those four, and provides a
> nice simple API, while allowing the cinder, nova etc APIs to remove
> things like internal retries?

The big issue with trying to solve the problem this way is that various
clouds won't deploy this service then your users are stuck with the
"base" APIs anyway or deploying this service themselves. This is mostly
ok until you realize that we rarely build services to run "on" cloud
rather than "in" cloud so I as the user can't sanely deploy a new
service this way, and even if I can I'm stuck deploying it for the 6
clouds and 15 regions (numbers not exact) because even more rarely do we
write software that is multicloud/region aware.

We need to be very careful if this is the path we take because it often
doesn't actually make the user experience better.

Clark