[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Thu May 18 22:04:35 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 09:34:44AM -0700, Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> >> Issue with that is
> >>
> >> 1. Apache served is harder to use because we want to follow docker API
> >> and we'd have to reimplement it
> >
> > No, the idea is apache is transparent, for now we have been using proxypass
> > module in apache.  I think what Doug was mentioning was have a primary docker
> > registery, with is RW for a publisher, then proxy it to regional mirrors as RO.
>
> That would also work, yes
>
> >> 2. Running registry is single command
> >>
> > I've seen this mentioned a few times before, just because it is one command or
> > 'simple' to do, doesn't mean we want to or can.  Currently our infrastructure is
> > complicated, for various reasons.  I am sure we'll get to the right technical
> > solution for making jobs happy. Remember our infrastructure spans 6 clouds and 15
> > regions and want to make sure it is done correctly.
>
> And that's why we discussed dockerhub. Remember that I was willing to
> implement proper registry, but we decided to go with dockerhub simply
> because it puts less stress on both infra and infra team. And I
> totally agree with that statement. Dockerhub publisher + apache
> caching was our working idea.

yes, we still want to implement a docker registry for openstack, maybe for
testing, maybe for production. From the technical side, we have a good handle
now how that would look.  However, even if we decide to publish to docker, I
don't think we'd push directly. Maybe push to our docker registry then mirror to
docker hub. That is something we can figure out a little later.