[openstack-dev] [nova] [cinder] Follow up on Nova/Cinder summit sessions from an ops perspective

Rochelle Grober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Thu May 18 21:26:02 UTC 2017

 From: Matt Riedemann
> [...]
> where we started talking about --near or --distance (host, rack, row, data
> center, etc).
>

> > The feedback I get from my cloud-experienced users most frequently is
> > that they want to know why the OpenStack user experience in the
> > storage area is so radically different from AWS, which is what they
> > all have experience with. I don't really have a great answer for them,
> > except to admit that in our clouds they just have to know what
> > combination of flavors and Horizon options or BDM structure is going
> > to get them the right tradeoff between storage durability and speed. I
> > was pleased with how the session on expanding Cinder's role for Nova
> > ephemeral storage went because of the suggestion of reducing Nova
> > imagebackend's role to just the file driver and having Cinder take over for
> everything else.
> > That, to me, is the kind of simplification that's a win-win for both
> > devs and ops: devs get to radically simplify a thorny part of the Nova
> > codebase, storage driver development only has to happen in Cinder,
> > operators get a storage workflow that's easier to explain to users.
> >
> > Am I off base in the view of not wanting to add more options to nova
> > boot and more logic to the scheduler? I know the AWS comparison is a
> > little North America-centric (this came up at the summit a few times
> > that EMEA/APAC operators may have very different ideas of a normal
> > cloud workflow), but I am striving to give my users a private cloud
> > that I can define for them in terms of AWS workflows and vocabulary.
> > AWS by design restricts where your volumes can live (you can use
> > instance store volumes and that data is gone on reboot or terminate,
> > or you can put EBS volumes in a particular AZ and mount them on
> > instances in that AZ), and I don't think that's a bad thing, because
> > it makes it easy for the users to understand the contract they're
> > getting from the platform when it comes to where their data is stored
> > and what instances they can attach it to.
> >

> Again, we don't want to make the UX more complicated, but as noted in the
> etherpad, the solution we have today is if you want the same instance and
> volume on the same host for performance reasons, then you need to have a
> 1:1 relationship for AZs and hosts since AZs are exposed to the user. In a
> public cloud where you've got hundreds of thousands of compute hosts, 1:1
> AZs aren't going to be realistic, for neither the admin or user. Plus, AZs are
> really supposed to be about fault domains, not performance domains, as Jay
> Pipes pointed out in the session.
>
> That's where the idea of a --near or --distance=0 came in. I agree that having
> non-standard definitions of 'distance' is going to be confusing and not
> interoperable, so that's a whole other ball of wax, but it does provide
> flexibility for the operator, i.e. in my cloud, 'near' means same rack, but in
> some other cloud 'near' means the same data center.

Sorry about being late on this....

If you're going to use --distance, then you should have specific values (standard definitions) rather than operator defined:
And for that matter, is there something better than distance?  Collocated maybe?

colocated={local, rack, row, module, dc}
Keep the standard definitions that are already in use in/across data centers

--Rocky