[openstack-dev] [ptg] How to slice the week to minimize conflicts

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu May 18 12:05:45 UTC 2017

Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>> [...]
>> After giving it some thought, my current thinking is that we should
>> still split the week in two, but should move away from an arbitrary
>> horizontal/vertical split. My strawman proposal would be to split the
>> week between inter-project work (+ teams that rely mostly on liaisons in
>> other teams) on Monday-Tuesday, and team-specific work on
>> Wednesday-Friday:
>>
>> Example of Monday-Tuesday rooms:
>> Interop WG, Docs, QA, API WG, Packaging WG, Oslo, Goals helproom,
>> Infra/RelMgt/support teams helpdesk, TC/SWG room, VM&BM Working group...
>>
>> Example of Wednesday-Thursday or Wednesday-Friday rooms:
>> Nova, Cinder, Neutron, Swift, TripleO, Kolla, Infra...
>
> Two objections here:
>
> 1. In Atlanta moving cross-project things to the first 2 day resulted in
> a big share of people arriving on Tuesday and just skipping it. This is
> partly because of budget, partly because they did not associate
> themselves with any cross-project group. I wonder if we should motivate
> people to participate in at least some of these by moving one of the
> days to the middle of the week.

That was a feature rather than a bug. Give people option to pick a
smaller timespan, rather than force them to attend all 5 days. I mean,
we totally could have the Nova team meetup on Monday, Thursday and
Friday, but I suspect that would result in some people only attending
the last two days.

> 2. Doing TripleO in parallel to other projects was quite unfortunate
> IMO. TripleO is an integration project. I would love TripleO people to
> come to Ironic sessions, and I'd like to attend TripleO sessions myself.
> It is essentially impossible with this suggestions.

That's funny, because they were originally programmed on Mon-Tue (for
the reasons you mention) but they (the TripleO team) explicitly
requested to be moved to Wed-Fri, to be able to attend the inter-project
stuff instead. So I guess the mileage really varies :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)