[openstack-dev] [horizon][api][docs] Feedback requested on proposed formatting change to API docs

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue May 16 22:13:16 UTC 2017

Hey all!

I read the API docs A LOT. (thank you to all of you who have worked on
writing them)

As I do, a gotcha I hit up against a non-zero amount is mapping the
descriptions of the response parameters to the form of the response
itself. Most of the time there is a top level parameter under which
either an object or a list resides, but the description lists list the
top level and the sub-parameters as siblings.

So I wrote a patch to os-api-ref taking a stab at providing a way to
show things a little differently:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/464255/

You can see the output here:

http://docs-draft.openstack.org/55/464255/5/check/gate-nova-api-ref-src/f02b170//api-ref/build/html/

If you go expand either the GET / or the GET /servers/details sections
and go to look at their Response sections, you can see it in action.

We'd like some feedback on impact from humans who read the API docs
decently regularly...

The questions:

- Does this help, hurt, no difference?
- servers[].name - servers is a list, containing objects with a name
field. Good or bad?
- servers[].addresses.$network-name - addresses is an object and the
keys of the object are the name of the network in question.

Thanks!
Monty