[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue May 16 19:56:31 UTC 2017

Security is a spectrum, not a boolean. I know some sites that have instituted super long/complex password requirements. The end result is usually humans just writing pw's down on stickies then since its too hard to remember, making security worse, not better. Humans are always the weakest link in the security system and must be taken into account.

There are people that will do things insecurely. If we can make it much easier for them to get access to much more fresh stuff rather then build it themselves (which they wont), the community as a whole will be better off. There will be far fewer clouds out there with known bad CVE's baked in.

Lets provide the tools to make it as easy as possible to identify containers with issues, and allow upgrading the system to newer ones.

Which CVE's are on the system is somewhat less important then being able to get to newer versions installed easily. Right now, thats probably harder then it should be. If its hard, people won't do it.

Fresh images are just a step in that process.

Thanks,
Kevin