[openstack-dev] [nova] [glance] [cinder] [neutron] [keystone] - RFC cross project request id tracking

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue May 16 15:07:03 UTC 2017

On 05/16/2017 10:28 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Sun, 14 May 2017, Sean Dague wrote:
>
>> So, the basic idea is, services will optionally take an inbound
>> X-OpenStack-Request-ID which will be strongly validated to the format
>> (req-$uuid). They will continue to always generate one as well. When
>> the context is built (which is typically about 3 more steps down the
>> paste pipeline), we'll check that the service user was involved, and
>> if not, reset the request_id to the local generated one. We'll log
>> both the global and local request ids. All of these changes happen in
>> oslo.middleware, oslo.context, oslo.log, and most projects won't need
>> anything to get this infrastructure.
>
> I may not be understanding this paragraph, but this sounds like you
> are saying: accept a valid and authentic incoming request id, but
> only use it in ongoing requests if the service user was involved in
> those requests.
>
> If that's correct, I'd suggest not doing that because it confuses
> traceability of a series of things. Instead, always use the request
> id if it is valid and authentic.
>
> But maybe you mean "if the request id could not be proven authentic,
> don't use it"?

It is a little more clear in the detailed spec, the issue is that the
place where this is generated is before we have enough ability to know
if we should be allowed to use it (it's actually before keystone auth).
I put some annotations of paste pipelines inline to help explain.

We either assume success, or assume failure, and fix later. We don't
actually have a functional logger using the request-id until we've got
keystone auth (bootstrapping is fun!) so assuming success, and reverting
if auth says no, actually should cause less confusion (and require less
code) than the other way around.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague