[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Do we need a #openstack-tc IRC channel

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue May 16 14:17:35 UTC 2017

On 16/05/17 09:38 -0400, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
>Folks,
>
>See $TITLE :)
>
>Thanks,
>Dims

Just to give more context to other folks:

This came up when we were discussing how we can move forward with the idea of
replacing the TC meetings. One concern is that by not having meetings, it might
be hard to contact the TC other than sending emails to the ML, which is not
ideal for all cases.

One option is to just use #openstack-dev and the other one is, well, create the
#openstack-tc channel.

I'm ok with whatever option, really. However, using #openstack-dev would help
with the following:

* We're all there and, more importantly, most of the comunity is there already.
  Whenever discussions will happen, they'll be logged and they encourage other
  ppl to join, ask questions, or just lurk.

* #openstack-tc gives the sense of a "special" group, which we're not. Yes,
   we've responsibilities. Yes, we are a team BUT we serve the community and I
   don't want anyone feeling that "#openstack-tc" is just were the "TC" hangs
   out.

* New members in the community are more likely to join #openstack-dev first.

There are some drawbacks, though:

* Whenever there are ad-hoc conversations that need to happen, using
#openstack-dev might end up "locking" the channel until those conversations are
finished. Not explicitly but it'll happen. A dedicated channel would allow for
reducing the noise during these discussions.

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco