[openstack-dev] [Heat] Heat template example repository

Lance Haig lnhaig at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:16:24 UTC 2017

On 15.05.17 18:10, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 04:46:28PM +0200, Lance Haig wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> I am happy to assist in any way to be honest.
>>
>> The backwards compatibility is not always correct as I have seen when
>> developing our library of templates on Liberty and then trying to deploy it
>> on Mitaka for example.
> Yeah, I guess it's true that there are sometimes deprecated resource
> interfaces that get removed on upgrade to a new OpenStack version, and that
> is independent of the HOT version.
>
> As we've proven, maintaining these templates has been a challenge given the
> available resources, so I guess I'm still in favor of not duplicating a bunch
> of templates, e.g perhaps we could focus on a target of CI testing
> templates on the current stable release as a first step?
I think this is a good way to go.
If we get the tests running we will soon see what is broken and what not
on the stable release and then make a call as to how to go about fixing
that.
>> As you guys mentioned in our discussions the Networking example I quoted is
>> not something you guys can deal with as the source project affects this.
>>
>> Unless we can use this exercise to test these and fix them then I am
>> happier.
>>
>> My vision would be to have a set of templates and examples that are tested
>> regularly against a running OS deployment so that we can make sure the
>> combinations still run. I am sure we can agree on a way to do this with CICD
>> so that we test the fetureset.
> Agreed, getting the approach to testing agreed seems like the first step -
> FYI we do already have automated scenario tests in the main heat tree that
> consume templates similar to many of the examples:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/heat/tree/master/heat_integrationtests/scenario
>
> So, in theory, getting a similar test running on heat_templates should be
> fairly simple, but getting all the existing templates working is likely to
> be a bigger challenge.
I am happy to work on getting the existing templates tested if that helps.
As a newbie contributor I would need some help getting started and then
I would do the work.

If you can assist with the places to start I would appreciate it.

Lance