[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue May 16 14:07:52 UTC 2017

On 16/05/17 09:45 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>Excerpts from Flavio Percoco's message of 2017-05-15 21:50:23 -0400:

>> >Yes, that's more of a kolla-ansible feature and require a little bit
>> >of ansible know-how, but entirely possible. Kolla-k8s is built to
>> >allow maximum flexibility in that space.

>> >Yes, but they need to either override our default CMD (kolla_start) or
>> >provide ENVs requred by it, not a huge deal

>> >Yes, there is no such thing as kolla framework really. Our images
>> >follow stable ABI and they can be deployed by any deploy mechanism
>> >that will follow it. We have several users who wrote their own deploy
>> >mechanism from scratch.
>> >
>> >Containers are just blobs with binaries in it. Little things that we
>> >add are kolla_start script to allow our config file management and
>> >some custom startup scripts for things like mariadb to help with
>> >bootstrapping, both are entirely optional.
>>
>> Just as a bonus example, TripleO is currently using kolla images. They used to
>> be vanilla and they are not anymore but only because TripleO depends on puppet
>> being in the image, which has nothing to do with kolla.
>>
>> Flavio
>>

>When you say "using kolla images," what do you mean? In upstream
>CI tests? On contributors' dev/test systems? Production deployments?

All of them. Note that TripleO now builds its own "kolla images" (it uses the
kolla Dockerfiles and kolla-build) because the dependency of puppet. When I
said, TripleO uses kolla images was intended to answer Dims question on whether
these images (or Dockerfiles) can be consumed by other projects.

Flavio

--
@flaper87
Flavio Percoco