[openstack-dev] [vitrage] [nova] VM Heartbeat / Healthcheck Monitoring

Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL/Kfar Sava) ifat.afek at nokia.com
Tue May 16 11:42:06 UTC 2017

On 16/05/2017, 4:36, "Sam P" <sam47priya at gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Greg,

     In Masakari [0] for VMHA, we have already implemented some what
    similar function in masakri-monitors.
     Masakari-monitors runs on nova-compute node, and monitors the host,
    process or instance failures.
     Masakari instance monitor has similar functionality with what you
    have described.
     Please see [1] for more details on instance monitoring.
     [0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Masakari
     [1] https://github.com/openstack/masakari-monitors/tree/master/masakarimonitors/instancemonitor

     Once masakari-monitors detect failures, it will send notifications to
    masakari-api to take appropriate recovery actions to recover that VM
    from failures.

Hi Greg, Sam,

As Vitrage is about correlating alarms that come from different sources, and is not a monitor by itself – I think that it can benefit from information retrieved by both Masakari and Zabbix monitors.

Zabbix is already integrated into Vitrage. I don’t know if there are specific tests for VM heartbeat, but I think it is very likely that there are.
Regarding Masakari – looking at your documents, I believe that integrating your monitoring information into Vitrage could be quite straight forward.

Best Regards,
Ifat.