[openstack-dev] [oslo][concurrency] lockutils lock fairness / starvation

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon May 15 21:42:42 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2017-05-15 15:48:33 -0500:

> On 05/15/2017 03:24 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > Excerpts from Legacy, Allain's message of 2017-05-15 19:20:46 +0000:

DLM is more about fairness between machines, not threads.

However, I'd agree that oslo.concurrency isn't making fairness
guarantees. It does claim to return a threading.Semaphore or
semaphore.Semaphore, neither of which facilitate fairness (nor would a
full fledged mutex).

In order to implement fairness you'll need every lock request to happen
in a FIFO queue. This is often implemented with a mutex-protected queue
of condition variables. Since the mutex for the queue is only held while
you append to the queue, you will always get the items from the queue
in the order they were written to it.

So you have lockers add themselves to the queue and wait on their
condition variable, and then a thread running all the time that reads
the queue and acts on each condition to make sure only one thread is
activated at a time (or that one thread can just always do all the work
if the arguments are simple enough to put in a queue).

> I'm also not really surprised that this example serializes all the
> workers.  The operation being performed in each thread is simple enough
> that it probably completes before a context switch could reasonably
> occur, greenthreads or not.  Unfortunately one of the hard parts of
> concurrency is that the "extraneous" details of a use case can end up
> being important.

It also gets hardware sensitive when you have true multi-threading,
since a user on a 2 core box will see different results than a 4 core.

> > The next step is to look at which application had the problem, and under
> > what circumstances. Can you provide more detail there?
>
> +1, although as I noted above I'm not sure this is actually a "bug".  It
> would be interesting to know what real world use case is causing a
> pathologically bad lock pattern though.

I think it makes sense, especially in the greenthread example where
you're immediately seeing activity on the recently active socket and
thus just stay in that greenthread.