[openstack-dev] [HA] follow-up from HA discussion at Boston Forum

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Mon May 15 21:42:12 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Sam P <sam47priya at gmail.com> wrote:
>This is a quick reminder for HA Forum session at Boston Summit.
>Thank you all for your comments and effort to make this happen in Boston Summit.
>
> Time: Thu 11 , 11:00am-11:40am
> Location: Hynes Convention Center - Level One - MR 103
> Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-HA-in-openstack
>
> Please join and let's discuss the HA issues in OpenStack...
>
>--- Regards,
>Sampath

Thanks to everyone who came to the High Availability Forum session in
Boston last week!  To me, the great turn-out proved that there is
enough general interest in HA within OpenStack to justify allocating
space for dicussion on those topics not only at each summit, but in
between the summits too.

To that end, I'd like to a) remind everyone of the weekly HA IRC
meetings:

    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/HATeamMeeting

and also b) highlight an issue that we most likely need to solve:
currently these weekly IRC meetings are held at 0900 UTC on Wednesday:

    http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#High_Availability_Meeting

which is pretty much useless for anyone in the Americas.  This time
was previously chosen because the most regular attendees were based in
Europe or Asia, but I'm now looking for suggestions on how to make
this fairer for all continents.  Some options:

- Split the 60 minutes in half, and hold two 30 minute meetings
  each week at different times, so that every timezone has convenient
  access to at least one of them.

- Alternate the timezone every other week.  This might make it hard to
  build any kind of momentum.

- Hold two meetings each week.  I'm not sure we'd have enough traffic
  to justify this, but we could try.

Any opinions, or better ideas?  Thanks!

Adam

P.S. Big thanks to Sampath for organising the Boston Forum session
and managing to attract such a healthy audience :-)