[openstack-dev] [tc][infra][release][security][stable][kolla][loci][tripleo][docker][kubernetes] do we want to be publishing binary container images?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon May 15 17:34:01 UTC 2017

Last week at the Forum we had a couple of discussions about
collaboration between the various teams building or consuming
container images. One topic that came up was deciding how to publish
images from the various teams to docker hub or other container
registries. While the technical bits seem easy enough to work out,
there is still the question of precedence and whether it's a good
idea to do so at all.

In the past, we have refrained from publishing binary packages in
other formats such as debs and RPMs. (We did publish debs way back
in the beginning, for testing IIRC, but switched away from them to
sdists to be more inclusive.) Since then, we have said it is the
responsibility of downstream consumers to build production packages,
either as distributors or as a deployer that is rolling their own.
We do package sdists for python libraries, push some JavaScript to
the NPM registries, and have tarballs of those and a bunch of other
artifacts that we build out of our release tools.  But none of those
is declared as "production ready," and so the community is not
sending the signal that we are responsible for maintaining them in
the context of production deployments, beyond continuing to produce
new releases when there are bugs.

Container images introduce some extra complexity, over the basic
operating system style packages mentioned above. Due to the way
they are constructed, they are likely to include content we don't
produce ourselves (either in the form of base layers or via including
build tools or other things needed when assembling the full image).
That extra content means there would need to be more tracking of
upstream issues (bugs, CVEs, etc.) to ensure the images are updated
as needed.

Given our security and stable team resources, I'm not entirely
comfortable with us publishing these images, and giving the appearance
that the community *as a whole* is committing to supporting them.
I don't have any objection to someone from the community publishing
them, as long as it is made clear who the actual owner is. I'm not
sure how easy it is to make that distinction if we publish them
through infra jobs, so that may mean some outside process. I also
don't think there would be any problem in building images on our
infrastructure for our own gate jobs, as long as they are just for
testing and we don't push those to any other registries.

I'm raising the issue here to get some more input into how to
proceed. Do other people think this concern is overblown? Can we
mitigate the risk by communicating through metadata for the images?
Should we stick to publishing build instructions (Dockerfiles, or
whatever) instead of binary images? Are there other options I haven't
mentioned?

Doug