[openstack-dev] [FaaS] Introduce a FaaS project

Robert Putt Robert.Putt at rackspace.co.uk
Mon May 15 11:17:29 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am very interested in FaaS coming to OpenStack, it totally makes sense to have it as part of the platform. I have observed the current OpenStack Picasso project although I too am concerned about vendor lock in to IronFunctions with the Picasso project. I think it is also important not to alienate the current OpenStack community by introducing non standard components or languages, I am hopeful the new releases of Python can provide reasonable performance so it is possible to keep Python as a primary language for a FaaS project. My main concern is that we seem to have several FaaS projects with different approaches rather than having us all work on one superior FaaS solution. Is there a way we can win over the Picasso project team to be more understanding of the vendor lock in and language concerns?

For me the important things are:

a)       Sandboxed code in some container solution

b)       Pluggable backends for said sandbox to remove vendor lock in

c)       Pluggable storage for function packages, the default probably being Swift

d)       Integration with Keystone for auth and role based access control e.g. sharing functions with other tenants but maybe with different permissions, e.g. dev tenant in a domain can publish functions but prod tenant can only execute the functions.

e)       Integration with Neutron so functions can access tenant networks.

f)        A web services gateway to create RESTful APIs and map URIs / verbs / API requests to functions.

g)       It would also be nice to have some meta data service like what we see in Nova so functions can have an auto injected context relating to the tenant running it rather than having to inject all parameters via the API.

Just some thoughts. If you’d like these converted into basic blueprints for the project let me know, I know some of them may seem like very stretched goals at the moment but I am sure their time will come.

Best Regards,

Rob