[openstack-dev] [neutron] multi-site forum discussion

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Sun May 14 17:12:11 UTC 2017

On 12 May 2017, at 23:38, joehuang <joehuang at huawei.com<mailto:joehuang at huawei.com>> wrote:

Hello,

Neutron cells aware is not equal to multi-site. There are lots of multi-site deployment options, not limited to nova-cells, whether to use Neutron-cells/Nova-cells in multi-site deployments, it's up to cloud operator's choice. For the bug[3], it's reasonable to make neutron support cells, but it doesn't implicate that multi-site should mandatory adopt neutron-cells.

[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1690425

There are also a number of site limited deployments which use nova cells to support scalability within the site rather than only between sites. CERN has around 50 cells for the 2 data centre deployment we have.

There is also no need to guarantee a 1-to-1 mapping between nova cells and neutron cells. It may be simpler to do it that way but something based on the ML2 subnet would also seem a reasonable way to organise the neutron work while many sites use nova cells based on one hardware type per cell, for example.

Tim
Best Regards
Chaoyi Huang (joehuang)