[openstack-dev] [all][keystone][product] api keys/application specific passwords

Lance Bragstad lbragstad at gmail.com
Thu May 11 19:32:30 UTC 2017

Hey all,

One of the Baremetal/VM sessions at the summit focused on what we need to
do to make OpenStack more consumable for application developers [0]. As a
group we recognized the need for application specific passwords or API keys
and nearly everyone (above 85% is my best guess) in the session thought it
was an important thing to pursue. The API key/application-specific password
specification is up for review [1].

The problem is that with all the recent churn in the keystone project, we
don't really have the capacity to commit to this for the cycle. As a
project, we're still working through what we've committed to for Pike
before the OSIC fallout. It was suggested that we reach out to the PWG to
see if this is something we can get some help on from a keystone
development perspective. Let's use this thread to see if there is anyway we
can better enable the community through API keys/application-specific
passwords by seeing if anyone can contribute resources to this effort.

Thanks,

Lance

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/BOS-forum-using-vm-and-baremetal
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/450415/