[openstack-dev] [ironic] [tripleo] demo: node auto-discovery with one power button click

Jiri Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Thu May 11 17:28:28 UTC 2017

On 11.5.2017 16:56, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> While people are enjoying the Forum, I also have something to show.
>
> I've got a lot of questions about auto-discovery, so I've recorded a demo
> of it using TripleO Ocata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJkDxxjL3NQ.
>
> Please let me know what you think!
>
> Dmitry

Hi, thanks for interesting demo! I am wondering how does this compare to
"Discover nodes, knowing IP range for their BMCs and the default IPMI
credentials" blueprint [1].

I really like the power of introspection rules. TripleO UI can nicely
benefit from this, letting user provide rules to apply on introspection.

Regarding the autodiscovery use case, is it possible to somehow power up
the machines using API? What if user does not know the $IPMI_HOST?

Can we replace enabling autodiscovery option in undercloud with
discovering nodes as defined in [1] which would return json resembling
to instackenv.json file and register the nodes using this? Does it make
sense?

Can Ironic-inspector send messages via zaqar to notify subscribers about
starting the autodiscovery?

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/node-discovery-by-range

Thanks
-- Jirka