[openstack-dev] [tripleo][logging] oslo.log fluentd native logging

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed May 10 22:06:45 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Dan Prince's message of 2017-05-10 17:41:12 -0400:
> On Mon, 2017-04-24 at 07:47 -0400, Joe Talerico wrote:
> > Hey owls - I have been playing with oslo.log fluentd integration[1]
> > in
> > a poc commit here [2]. Enabling the native service logging is nice
> > and
> > tracebacks no longer multiple inserts into elastic - there is a
> > "traceback" key which would contain the traceback if there was one.
> >
> > The system-level / kernel level logging is still needed with the
> > fluent client on each Overcloud node.
> >
> > I see Martin did the initial work [3] to integrate fluentd, is there
> > anyone looking at migrating the OpenStack services to using the
> > oslo.log facility?
>
> Nobody officially implementing this yet that I know of. But it does
> look promising.
>
> The idea of using oslo.logs fluentd formatter could dovetail very
> nicely into our new containers (docker) servers for Pike in that it
> would allow us to log to stdout directly within the container... but
> still support the Fluentd logging interfaces that we have today.
>
> The only downside would be that not all services in OpenStack support
> olso.log (I don't think Swift does for example). Nor do some of the
> core services we deploy like Galera and RabbitMQ. So we'd have a mixed
> bag of host and stdout logging perhaps for some things or would need to
> integrate with Fluentd differently for services without oslo.log
> support.
>
> Our current approach to containers logging in TripleO recently landed
> here and exposed the logs to a directory on the host specifically so
> that we could aim to support Fluentd integrations:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/442603/
>
> Perhaps we should revisit this in the (near) future to improve our
> containers deployments.

The Oslo team is also interested in talking to folks about making
it easier to enable some of the alternative output formatters such as
Fluentd and JSON. IIRC, right now to use them one must use a separate
logging configuration file, and we could add some config options to
avoid that.

Doug