[openstack-dev] [nova] Discussions for DPDK support in OpenStack

TETSURO NAKAMURA nakamura.tetsuro at lab.ntt.co.jp
Mon May 8 11:55:58 UTC 2017

Thank you for reply!

On 2017/04/28 4:38, sfinucan at redhat.com wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-04-28 at 13:23 +0900, TETSURO NAKAMURA wrote:
>> Hi Nova team,
>>
>> I'm writing this e-mail because I'd like to have a discussion about
>> DPDK support at OpenStack Summit in Boston.
>>
>> We have developed a dpdk-based patch panel named SPP[1], and we'd
>> like to start working on Openstack (ML2 driver) to develop
>> "networking-spp".
>>
>> Especially, we'd like to use DPDK-ivshmem that was used to be used
>> to create "dpdkr" interface in ovs-dpdk[2].
>
> To the best of my knowledge, IVSHMEM ports are no longer supported in
> upstream. The documentation for this feature was recently removed from
> OVS [1] stating:
>
>   - The ivshmem library has been removed in DPDK since DPDK 16.11.
>   - The instructions/scheme provided will not work with current
>     supported and future DPDK versions.
>   - The linked patch needed to enable support in QEMU has never
>     been upstreamed and does not apply to the last 4 QEMU releases.
>   - Userspace vhost has become the defacto OVS-DPDK path to the guest.
>
> Note: I worked on DPDK vSwitch [2] way back when, and there were severe
> security implications with sharing a chunk of host memory between
> multiple guests (which is how IVSHMEM works). I'm not at all surprised
> the feature was killed.
>
>> We have issued a blueprint[3] for that use case.
>
> Per above, I don't think this is necessary. vhost-user ports already
> work as expected in nova.

Yes, IVSHMEM is a critical issue for multitenancy.
Still, we'd like to state that there is a use case for private cloud
such as carrier NFV in which sharing host memory doesn't become a
critical issue. In that use case we'd like to use ivshmem for good
performance.

>> As we are attending Boston Summit, could you have a discussion with
>> us at the Summit?
>
> I'll be around the summit (IRC: sfinucan) if you want to chat more.
> However, I'd suggest reaching out to Sean Mooney or Igor Duarte Cardoso
> (both CCd) if you want further information about general support of
> OVS-DPDK in OpenStack and DPDK acceleration in SFC, respectively. I'd
> also suggest looking at networking-ovs-dpdk [3] which contains a lot of
> helper tools for using OVS-DPDK in OpenStack, along with links to a
> Brighttalk video I recently gave regarding the state of OVS-DPDK in
> OpenStack.

Thank you very much for information !
I'm already reaching out to Sean Mooney in another case,
so I try to reach out to Igor Duarte Cardoso-san.