[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Validations before upgrades and updates

Marios Andreou mandreou at redhat.com
Mon May 8 11:45:08 UTC 2017

Hi folks, after some discussion locally with colleagues about improving the
upgrades experience, one of the items that came up was pre-upgrade and
update validations. I took an AI to look at the current status of
tripleo-validations [0] and posted a simple WIP [1] intended to be run
before an undercloud update/upgrade and which just checks service status.
It was pointed out by shardy that for such checks it is better to instead
continue to use the per-service  manifests where possible like [2] for
example where we check status before N..O major upgrade. There may still be
some undercloud specific validations that we can land into the
tripleo-validations repo (thinking about things like the neutron
networks/ports, validating the current nova nodes state etc?).

So do folks have any thoughts about this subject - for example the kinds of
things we should be checking - Steve said he had some reviews in progress
for collecting the overcloud ansible puppet/docker config into an ansible
playbook that the operator can invoke for upgrade of the 'manual' nodes
(for example compute in the N..O workflow) - the point being that we can
add more per-service ansible validation tasks into the service manifests
for execution when the play is run by the operator - but I'll let Steve
point at and talk about those.

cheers, marios

[0] https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-validations
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/462918/
[2]  https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/
stable/ocata/puppet/services/neutron-api.yaml#L197