[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] OpenStack moving both too fast and too slow at the same time

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri May 5 13:52:38 UTC 2017

On 05/05/2017 05:16 AM, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:

> I may be wrong, but I have a strong perception that even when major
> upgrades run smooth and flawless, operators tend to operate legacy
> enterprise software for long, long, long. It would be an utopia to
> expect any changes here, IMO.

One reason for this is that the end-users of telco or enterprise companies have
high expectations for robustness and reliability.  Telecom-level validation
takes a *long* time.  It could easily be six months to a year before new
software actually makes it out to end-users.  Because this effort is expensive,
they want to amortize it over a longer period.

Even when an upgrade is smooth and easy, it's still new code, with new unknown bugs.

Chris