[openstack-dev] [networking-ovn] metadata agent implementation

Daniel Alvarez Sanchez dalvarez at redhat.com
Fri May 5 12:07:03 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

Now that it looks like the metadata proposal is more refined [0], I'd like
to get some feedback from you on the driver implementation.

The ovn-metadata-agent in networking-ovn will be responsible for
creating the namespaces, spawning haproxies and so on. But also,
it must implement most of the "old" neutron-metadata-agent functionality
which listens on a UNIX socket and receives requests from haproxy,
adds some headers and forwards them to Nova. This means that we can
import/reuse big part of neutron code.

I wonder what you guys think about depending on neutron tree for the
agent implementation despite we can benefit from a lot of code reuse.
On the other hand, if we want to get rid of this dependency, we could
probably write the agent "from scratch" in C (what about having C
code in the networking-ovn repo?) and, at the same time, it should
buy us a performance boost (probably not very noticeable since it'll
respond to requests from local VMs involving a few lookups and
processing simple HTTP requests; talking to nova would take most
of the time and this only happens at boot time).

I would probably aim for a Python implementation reusing/importing
code from neutron tree but I'm not sure how we want to deal with
changes in neutron codebase (we're actually importing code now).
Looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

Thanks,
Daniel

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/452811/