[openstack-dev] [nova-scheduler] Get scheduler hint

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu May 4 14:19:15 UTC 2017

On 05/04/2017 04:59 AM, Giuseppe Di Lena wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
>> I'm pretty sure a regular user can create a server group and specify the anti-affinity filter.
>
> yes, but we want that the user specifies just the Robustness; the way in which we assign the instances to the compute nodes should be a black box for the regular user(and also for the admin).

Server groups *are* a black box though. You create a server group and
set the policy of the group to "anti-affinity" and that's it. There's no
need for the user or admin to know anything else...

>> Why do you need to track which compute nodes the instances are on?
>
> Because putting the instances in the correct compute nodes is just the first step of the algorithm that we are implementing, for the next steps we need to know where is each instance.

In a cloud, it shouldn't matter which specific compute node an instance
is on -- in fact, in clouds, an instance (workload) may not even know
it's on a hypervisor vs. a baremetal machine vs. a privileged container.

What is important for the user in a cloud to specify is the amount of
resources the workload will consume (this is the flavor in Nova) and a
set of characteristics (traits) that the eventual host system should have.

I think it would help if you describe in a little more detail what is
the eventual outcome you are trying to achieve and what use case that
outcome serves. Then we can assist you in showing you how to get to that
outcome.

Best,
-jay