[openstack-dev] [all][OSC] OpenStack Interpreter: A useful tool python interpreter tool for the OpenStack client libraries.

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue May 2 13:23:56 UTC 2017

On 05/02/2017 12:11 AM, Adrian Turjak wrote:
> Hello OpenStack folks,
>
> As part of my dev work I recently put together a cool little tool which
> lets me have much easier access to the various OpenStack python clients
> in the scope of a python interpreter session. The first version was a
> little rough and without os-client-config support. The current version
> is now a plugin for the openstackclient and introduces a command that
> simply authenticates you, sets up the environment and helper tools, and
> then drops you into an ipython interactive session. The helper stuff is
> fairly simple, but combined with the features of ipython it really lets
> you start playing with the tools quickly, and by piggybacking onto
> openstackclient I get access to a lot of the niceties and inbuilt auth
> mechanisms.
>
> It is useful for learning, testing, or development against the various
> openstack client libraries, and even as an ops tool to quickly run some
> basic actions without having to resort to weird or silly bash command
> combinations.
>
> I personally use it to test out commands or libraries I'm not familiar
> with, or if I just need to work out what the output from something is.
> Often even doing once off admin actions that require parsing through and
> comparing different values and resources, but isn't worth writing a
> script for.
>
> My goal was to make something easy to use, and help almost anyone pick
> up and start using the various python clients without needing to dig
> through too much docs.
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/openstack-interpreter

Nice work! I'd love to help you connect the shade bits - as well as raw
REST clients. (I frequently just open a python REPL and type:

import shade
shade.simple_logging(http_debug=True)
c = shade.openstack_cloud(cloud='vexxhost')

and then do a bunch of stuff with c. In fact, that's my most common form
of interaction with OpenStack these days. :)

So since you did the nice work to connect it to OSC, I'd love to help
you connect a few more options in there. (shade's constructor takes an
os-client-config OpenStackCloudConfig object and uses the session from
it, so if you've got occ support already, plumbing in shade with shared
session should be easy. If it's not, I'm happy to help sort that out.)

Monty