[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova][glance] Who needs multiple api_servers?

Blair Bethwaite blair.bethwaite at gmail.com
Mon May 1 18:47:56 UTC 2017

On 29 April 2017 at 01:46, Mike Dorman <mdorman at godaddy.com> wrote:
> I don’t disagree with you that the client side choose-a-server-at-random is not a great load balancer.  (But isn’t this roughly the same thing that oslo-messaging does when we give it a list of RMQ servers?)  For us it’s more about the failure handling if one is down than it is about actually equally distributing the load.

Maybe not great, but still better than making operators deploy (often
complex) full-featured external LBs when they really just want
*enough* redundancy. In many cases this seems to just create pets in
the control plane. I think it'd be useful if all OpenStack APIs and
their clients actively handled this poor-man's HA without having to
resort to haproxy etc, or e.g., assuming operators own the DNS.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo