[openstack-dev] Project Navigator Updates - Feedback Request

Dave McCowan (dmccowan) dmccowan at cisco.com
Fri Mar 31 14:04:52 UTC 2017

On 3/31/17, 4:43 AM, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

>Brian Rosmaita wrote:
>> On 3/29/17 12:55 AM, Jimmy McArthur wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> What we really need is the following:
>>>
>>> * A project history, including the date of project inception that's
>>> included in the TC tags.
>>> * An API history in an easily digestible format that all projects
>>>share.
>>> So whether you're doing micro releases or not, just something that
>>> allows us to show, based on a release timeline, which API versions per
>>> project are applicable for each OpenStack release. This really needs to
>>> be consistent from project to project b/c at the moment everyone
>>>handles
>>> it differently.
>>
>> See what you think of these.  They add an "apis" section to the glance
>> section of projects.yaml in the governance repo.
>>
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/604775/ has a complete history, where
>> for each release, the complete set of versions of the API that are
>> available in that release (and their statuses) are listed.
>>
>> http://paste.openstack.org/show/604776/ has an abbreviated history,
>> where only the changes in available APIs are listed from version to
>> version, and if there's no change, the release isn't listed at all.
>>
>> I don't know if this format would work for microversions, though.  (And
>> I don't know if it's a good idea in the first place.)
>
>I like the idea to provide unified API information, however I'm not sure
>the Technical Committee should stand in the way of getting that
>information updated. The less we force through strict governance
>processes, the better, so everything that can be maintained by some
>other group should be.
>
>This is closer to documentation than governance, so I wonder if this
>document should not be maintained at the API WG or the Docs team or
>service catalog level -- just keeping the same team names so that
>information can be easily cross-referenced with the governance repository.
>
>I'll raise the discussion in open discussion at the next TC meeting.
>
>--
>Thierry Carrez (ttx)

There used to be an item on Navigator for "Existence of quality packages
in popular distributions."   It was removed, with the intent to replace it
with a better way to maintain and update this information. [1][2]

Is now a good time to re-implement this tag as well?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-org/+bug/1656843
[2] https://github.com/OpenStackweb/openstack-org/pull/59