[openstack-dev] [tripleo] os-cloud-config retirement

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 12:58:53 UTC 2017

There is one case that I was thinking about reusing this piece of code
within a container to help initialize keystone endpoints. It would
require some changes and updates (to match how puppet-* configures
endpoints).

For TripleO containers we use various puppet modules (along with hiera)
to drive the creation of endpoints. This functionally works fine, but
is quite slow to execute (puppet is slow here) and takes several
minutes to complete. I'm wondering if a single optimized python script
might serve us better here. It could be driven via YAML (perhaps
similar to our Hiera), idempotent, and likely much faster than having
the code driven by puppet. This doesn't have to live in os-cloud-
config, but initially I thought that might be a reasonable place for
it. It is worth pointing out that this would be something that would
need to be driven by our t-h-t workflow and not a post-installation
task. So perhaps that makes it not a good fit for os-cloud-config. But
it is similar to the keystone initialization already there so I thought
I'd mention it.

Dan